Do I need to register my invalid carriage?

Under the Use of Invalid Carriages on the Highways Regulations 1988 invalid carriages are separated into 3 categories:

Class 1

Manual wheelchairs, i.e. self-propelled or attendant propelled, not electrically propelled. These are not required to be registered with DVLA.

Class 2

Powered wheelchairs and scooters – intended for footway use only with a maximum speed of 4mph and an unladen weight not exceeding 113.4kgs. These are not required to be registered with DVLA.

A Class 2 scooter should use the road only if there is no footpaths available, to cross from one footpath to another, you cannot get on a footpath or if you know you would not be able to get off at the other end of it.

Class 3 

Mechanically propelled invalid carriages that are constructed or adapted to be capable of exceeding a speed of 4mph but incapable of exceeding a speed of 8mph on the level under its own power (generally powered wheelchairs and other outdoor vehicles including scooters intended for use on roads/highways). They must be fitted with a device capable of limiting the maximum speed to 4mph for use when travelling on footways. The unladen weight must not exceed 150kgs. These are required to be registered with DVLA.  

They are not allowed on motorways, cycle lanes or bus lanes, but are required by law to have lights, indicators, a horn, a rear-view mirror and

rear reflectors.

Drivers of either class must be disabled and aged 14 or over (Under the Road Traffic act 1970 only someone who is Chronically Sick and Disabled Persons under the Act 1970 can use an invalid carriage whether it is Class 1, 2 or 3), but do not have to hold a driving licence.

Class 3 invalid carriages need to be registered for road use, be licensed in the “disabled” taxation class and display a nil duty tax disc.

Invalid carriages do not need to provide evidence of VED exemption when licensing in the disabled class and they are exempt from paying the first registration fee. They are not required to display registration plates.

In order to register and license a Class 3 invalid carriage the user will need to complete form V55/5 (for used vehicles) or V55/4 (for new vehicles), and take or send it to their nearest DVLA local office. Evidence of the vehicle’s age

(if available) will need to be submitted with the application together with documentation confirming the keeper’s name and address.

For many years the requirement to register was largely ignored, but users should now comply with the law.

The vehicle must have certain construction features, including:

    • a maximum unladen weight of 150 kg (330 Ibs);
    • a maximum width of 0.85 metres (2’9″);
    • a device to limit its speed to 6.4 kmph (4 mph);
    • a maximum speed of 12.8 kmph (8 mph);
    • an efficient braking system;
    • front and rear lights and reflectors, and direction indicator which are able to operate as a hazard warning signal;
    • an audible warning instrument (horn);
    • a rear view mirror;
    • an amber flashing light if a 4-wheeled vehicle is used on a dual carriageway.
    • If these conditions are not met, you are liable to prosecution by the police.

Who can use a invalid carriage whether it is Class 1, 2 or 3.

Under the Road Traffic act 1970 only some who is Chronically Sick and Disabled Persons under the Act 1970 can use an invalid carriage whether it is Class 1, 2 or 3.

An invalid carriage (scooter) can only be used by an non Chronically Sick and Disabled Persons under the Act 1970 can use an invalid carriage:

Prescribed conditions for purposes of section 20(1) of the 1970 Act

  1. The conditions in accordance with which an invalid carriage must be used, in order that the modifications of the statutory provisions mentioned in subsection (1) of section 20 of the 1970 Act shall have effect in the case of the invalid carriage (being modifications of certain statutory provisions which relate to the use of vehicles on footways and roads) shall be—

(a) in the case of Class 1, Class 2 and Class 3 invalid carriages that the invalid carriage must be used—

(i) by a person falling within a class of persons for whose use it was

constructed or adapted, being a person suffering from some physical defect or physical disability;

(ii) by some other person for the purposes only of taking the invalid carriage

to or bringing it away from any place where work of maintenance or repair is

to be or has been carried out to the invalid carriage;

(iii) by a manufacturer for the purposes only of testing or demonstrating the

invalid carriage;

(iv) by a person offering to sell the invalid carriage for the purpose only of

demonstrating it; or

(v) by a person giving practical training in the use of the invalid carriage for

that purpose only;

What if a Mobility scooter can do over 12.8 kmph (8 mph);

According to RADARs Get Mobile leaflet in pdf

There is an increasing choice of add-on units for manual wheelchairs to provide power on a temporary or permanent basis. These range from very basic units to specialised units offering higher speeds. For example the PowerTrike is classed as both a Class 2 invalid carriage and an electric bicycle and can achieve speeds of up to 16mph.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7